Hit and Run Accidents: Pursuing Justice When the At-Fault Driver Flees
Hit and run accidents can be distressing and challenging to handle. You’re left dealing with not only the physical and emotional aftermath but also the uncertainty of identifying and holding the responsible party accountable. In this blog post, we will explore the complexities of hit and run accidents, your legal rights, and the steps you can take to pursue justice when the at-fault driver flees the scene.
Understanding Hit and Run Accidents
A hit and run accident occurs when a driver involved in a collision leaves the scene without providing their contact information or rendering aid, as required by law. These accidents can involve other vehicles, pedestrians, or property damage. Being a victim of a hit and run can leave you feeling helpless, but there are essential steps you can take.
Immediate Actions to Take
- Safety First: Ensure your safety and the safety of others at the accident scene. Seek medical attention if necessary.
- Gather Information: Try to collect as much information as possible about the fleeing vehicle, including the license plate number, make, model, and color.
- Witnesses: Talk to any witnesses who may have seen the accident and ask for their contact information.
- Contact the Police: Report the hit and run to the police immediately, providing them with all available details.
- Document the Scene: Take pictures of the accident scene, damage to your vehicle, and any injuries you may have sustained.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Report the accident to your insurance company, even if you cannot identify the at-fault driver.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Check if your insurance policy includes uninsured motorist coverage, as it may provide compensation in hit and run cases.
- Police Investigation: Allow law enforcement to investigate the incident, as they may be able to identify the at-fault driver through surveillance footage or other means.
- Consult an Attorney: Consider consulting a car accident attorney experienced in hit and run cases. They can help you explore legal options and navigate the complexities of your situation.
While hit and run accidents can be frustrating and daunting, it’s essential to remember that you have rights and legal avenues to pursue justice. Acting promptly, seeking legal counsel, and cooperating with law enforcement can increase your chances of identifying the responsible party and obtaining compensation for your injuries and damages.
If you’ve been a victim of a hit and run accident, don’t face the challenges alone. Contact McGilberry & Shirer LLP at (972) 392-1225 for expert legal guidance and support. Our experienced attorneys are here to help you seek the justice you deserve.