Things to Consider Before Hiring a Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accidents and car accidents are two very different things. That’s why it’s important to specifically hire someone who has experience as a truck accident lawyer. Experience, however, isn’t the only thing you should consider before hiring a truck accident lawyer.
Questions to Ask
Asking yourself a few questions before hiring a lawyer is always a good idea. For truck accidents, consider the following questions:
- Who’s liable? The truck driver isn’t the only person you have to deal with when you get into an accident. The trucking company and the manufacturer of the truck might also be involved. Figuring out who’s liable will help in the long run. The trucking company might try to get out of liability for the accident, and it’s best to have an attorney who’s ready to take action.
- Was the driver fatigued? Truck drivers work long hours on the road. If the driver was fatigued, they could have possibly fallen asleep at the wheel and caused the accident.
- Did the equipment fail? Trucks are big pieces of machinery, and sometimes things malfunction. If something happened to the truck that was out of the driver’s control, like blown brakes, the liability could be on the manufacturer of the truck and not the truck driver.
Check out the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s study on large truck crash causation to get more ideas.
How to Pick Your Lawyer
Experience is key to hiring your lawyer. An experienced attorney will be able to…
- Determine fault
- Find the best location to file the accident suit
- Get you the maximum amount of compensation
Every truck accident lawyer has their own fee structures. Make sure to ask prior to your case what kind of fees and payments to expect.